GAZETTE NOTICE NO. 9123/ 2015
HIGH COURT OF KENYA
NOTIFICATION OF PRACTICE DIRECTIONS ON THE DIVISION OF THE HIGH COURT OF KENYA
IT IS notified for the information of the general public that in the interest of effective case management of the expeditious disposal of cases and in order that similar disputes are effectively and efficiently adjudicated before specialized division of High Court, the Hon. Chief Justice makes the following practice directions:
1. In addition to the divisions of the High Court of Kenya, namely, the Criminal Division, the Civil Division, the Constitutional and Human Rights Division, the Judicial Division, Commercial and Tax Division in Nairobi and Mombasa and the Family Division, there shall be established beginning the next term of the court on 15th January, 2016, a High Court Division on Anti-corruption and Economics Crimes Division in Nairobi and Admiralty Division in Mombasa.
2. In Nairobi all disputes relating to corruption and economic crimes matters that may be filed under any Law in the High Court shall be lodged and heard before the Anti-corruption and Economic Crimes Division.
3. The Anti-corruption and Economic Crimes Division of the High Court at Nairobi will have its own registry and it shall determine the categorization of the matters that may be lodged and heard in the division. The High Court may order that corruption and economic crimes already filed in the other divisions of the High Court shall be transferred, heard and determined at that division.
4. The Admiralty Division of the High Court at Mombasa will have its own registry and shall determine the categorization of the matters that may be lodged and heard in the division. The High Court may order maritime related disputes already filed in the other High Courts be transferred, heard and determined at the Admiralty Division.
5. All applications for international adoptions under Section 162 of the Children Act, 2001 shall be lodged, heard and determined at the Family Law Division of the High Court at Nairobi. All other adoption applications may be lodged and disposed of at any of the High Court stations including the Family Division of the High Court at Nairobi.
Dated the 8th December, 2015
Chief Justice and President of the Supreme Court.