Many organizations have a scheme for appreciating and recognizing employees for exemplary service. While in some organizations the scheme is merely an avenue for building a good work environment by motivating employees to achieve higher levels of performance, the Kenya Law's approach to such a scheme is that it is an end in itself - appreciation for exemplary service is a moral debt of gratitude that the employer owes to its employee and the fact that such a scheme would vicariously motivate employees is only incidental.
The terms of the Kenya Law Employee of the Year Award Scheme were developed in 2010 and were soon thereafter adopted by the Council’s Board. The scheme seeks to recognize the achievements and contribution of managers (Team Leaders) and departmental staff (Team Players) who stand out in their exemplary service and contribution to the Council, to appreciate them and to reward them.
Under the scheme, awards are for the following categories:
- Kenya Law Team Player of the Year
- First Runner-up, Kenya Law Team Player of the Year
- Second Runner-up, Kenya Law Team Player of the Year
- Kenya Law Team of the Year
- Kenya Law Team Leader of the Year
The Kenya Law Team Player of the Year Award
The Kenya Law Team Player of the Year Award goes to one among members of staff (other than a departmental Team Leader) who having been cited by the departmental Team Leader and evaluated by the Selection Committee, is selected as having attained the highest scoring or created the strongest impression on the basis of action or conduct that:
- Contributes to outstanding and sustained improvements in service and product quality as well as brand image for the Council;
- Significantly improves or enhances the quality of work and the Council’s work environment in ways that make a substantial difference for colleagues, stakeholders and customers;
- Develops creative solutions to operational challenges that result in significantly improving the operational efficiency and effectiveness of the Kenya Law, cost savings and increased revenue ;
- Fosters a work ethic and a corporate culture within the Kenya Law that promotes inter-departmental teamwork, enhances communications and inspires commitment and productivity;
- Represents outstanding and selfless exertion beyond the ordinary call of duty;
- Contributes meaningfully to the betterment of the environment, society and the community at large.
The Kenya Law Team of the Year Award
The Kenya Law Team of the Year Award is given to a Department that attains the highest score in its evaluation of the implementation of the Department’s Strategic Plan and its contribution to the implementation of the Kenya Law's Strategic Plan as a whole.
The Kenya Law Team Leader of the Year Award
The Kenya Law Team Leader of the Year Award is given to the Team Leader of the Team of the Year.
The awardees for each category are given such financial or other rewards and recognition as the Council determines from time to time. The awards are announced and presented during the annual Kenya Law End-of-Year Staff Conference.
Team of the Year, 2012 - Finance Department
The Kenya Law Team of the Year Award goes to the department whose Team Leader wins the Kenya Law Team Leader of the Year Award. This is based on the understanding that the success of a Team Leader on the seven determinants and metrics of leadership upon which he or she is evaluated is linked to the co-operation, dedication and team spirit of his or her Team Players.
In the year 2012, this co-operation, dedication and team spirit was best exemplified by the Team Players of the Finance Department, which culminated in its Team Leader winning the Kenya Law Team Leader of the Year Award, 2012.
Kenya Law Team Leader of the Year, 2012
Citation by Michael M. Murungi - CEO/Editor
In the performance evaluation of Team Leaders for the year 2012, which was administered by the CEO/Editor, Mr. Pascal Othieno scored 85% on an evaluation tool that measures seven determinants:
- Leadership and Management;
- Human Capital Focus;
- Customer Orientation and Marketing;
- Financial Management;
- Innovation and Technology;
- Productivity and Quality
- Corporate Social Responsibility.
NCLR Team Player of the Year, 2012
Citation Issued by: Mrs. Ann Asugah, Head of Department, Laws of Kenya
Wambui is an assiduous person who carries out her duties with diligence, commitment and resilience. She has demonstrated a high level of professionalism even in times of adversity and pressure and her coordination skills are commendable. She ably coordinated the Lexis law revision project and came up with an innovative workflow for the laws of Kenya which ensured high quality standards of the Laws of Kenya.
Wambui has also on various occasions gone beyond the call of duty with respect to ensuring that work is done on time while maintaining quality and cohesiveness with the team. The department is proud of her.
First Runner-up, NCLR Team Player of the Year, 2012
Citations Issued by: Team Players
- He is competent, hardworking and supportive of his team mates.
- He coordinates the activities of the department well and has the spirit of leading people. He makes the department one team by organizing events.
- He has made each team member to feel he/she is the part of the team.
- He consults everyone when need be, he doesn't exclude any member of the team in the discussions.
- He treats everyone equally regardless of the position one may have at Kenya Law.
- He is ready to listen, advice and give solutions when a team member approaches with his/her problems whether official or personal.
- He has enthusiasm for the organization and commitment for its cause. He stands behind the organization's ideals, vision and mission.
- Develops creative key thinking for organizational transformation and problem solving.
- He is active and creative and thus improves and enhances delivering quality work.
- He enhances open communication within the organization.
Second Runner-up, NCLR Team Player of the Year, 2012
Citation Issued by: Mr. Pascal Othieno , Team Leader, Finance Department
In the year under review, Mr. Kiarie has done a commendable job in the Finance department; he has executed his duties with great zeal, demonstrated selfless service and undying commitment to his job. Kiarie has committed time outside the normal working hours to ensure that the job is done, and well too.
He has been calm and collected while maintaining a cordial working relationship with his colleagues even under immense pressure that comes with his job at different levels e.g. meeting departmental procurement requirements, organizing and advising the various committees executing the procurement function, dealing with supplier complaints, correspondences with the PPOA etc.
Most of the time, Kiarie has ensured timely procurement of high quality goods and services, this has facilitated increased productivity at the Council.
Team Player of the Year, 2012
The Nominees for 2012 Employee of the Year Award were announced at the Annual Kenya Law Staff Conference held in Nairobi on Februrary 15, 2013. The winners under the various departments were as follows;
Research and Development, Team Player of the Year, 2012
Citation Issued by: Linda Awuor , Team Leader, Research and Development
Since joining Kenya Law, Kenneth has shown dedication to his work and the quality of his work output has been commendable. Kenneth has been able to work under pressure to meet deadlines; this was especially so when he put in many hours to scan legal notices and Acts of Parliament for the Laws of Kenya Department during the Lexis Nexis project. Kenneth has respect towards his superiors and interacts well with his co-workers.
Kenneth is a team player and has shown enthusiasm and dedication to Kenya Law. He has a good attitude towards the management and fellow members of staff and this has helped foster a work ethic and a departmental culture that promotes inter and intra departmental teamwork.
H.R & Admin Team Player of the Year, 2012
Citation Issued by: Ms. Mutindi Musuva , Team Leader, HR and Admin
Eunice Mwangi has displayed service beyond the ordinary call of duty as demonstrated by the manner in which she goes about her work and all other tasks assigned to her.
Eunice is mature, polite and executes her duties with enthusiasm.
Eunice has consistently supported the organization in both external and external assignments and without fail is the first person to reach the office.
Eunice has done a good job in messengerial assignments, admin assignments and Collection assigned to her. She is reliable and trustworthy and gives feedback in tasks assigned to her. As an Office Assistant/ Collection Agent for Kenya Law, she is faced with unending demands and requests from various departments which she has been able to take all in stride. She plans her work well and requires very little supervision.
Working with Eunice is a pleasant experience.
Strategy, Quality Assurance & Performance Evaluation Team Player of Year 2012
Citation Issued by Ms. Esther Nyaiyaki, Snr. Asst Editor/Deputy CEO
Lydia has reinvigorated the project management function of Kenya Law. She has brought her professional expertise to bear in the management of a unique, challenging and strictly time-bound programmes and in the planning for and co-ordinating of various department’s activities.
Beyond the call of duty, Lydia works both early and late outside of office hours. Because the nature of the department’s work involves working with other departments, Lydia is excellent in managing inter-personal and interdepartmental relations and her work ethic and personal attitude fosters good relations in the workplace.
She is diligent, honest and undertakes her professional duties with dedication.
I.C.T Team Player of the Year, 2012
Citation Issued by: Mr Martin M. Mbui, Ag. Team Leader, ICT Department
Patrick has shown outstanding and steadfast ability beyond the usual call of duty to Kenya Law through applicatioin of innovative solutions that better enable the council staff output to their best. He has been actively involved in analysis, assembly and deployment of the new-look hardware for Kenya Law which, among others, has the following features:
- Faster turnaround times.
- Smooth operation of Hardware & Software applications
- High quality and up-to-date hardware
Mr. Wahome has, additionally, been consistently taking part in the Kenya Law ’s extra-curricular activities and CSR activities. He is able to constructively interact with all staff at all levels and an excellent team player in the I.C.T Department.