PRACTICE NOTES FOR THE CONDUCT OF COURT BUSINESS DURING THE GLOBAL CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC.
These Practice Notes are issued Pursuant to Section 13 (2) (a) &(b) of the Court of Appeal (Organization & Administration) Act.
Objective of these Practice Notes:-
The objective of the Practice Notes shall be to attain the following aims:-
(a) The just and expeditious determination of the appeals and applications; and
(b) The use of suitable technology in the timely and cost effective dispensation of justice during this period of coronavirus pandemic.
1. Application: Practice Notes to apply to appeals and applications during this period of coronavirus pandemic.
2. Filing: Documents shall be filed electronically.
3. Payment: Court fees shall be paid electronically.
4. Service: All Court processes will be served electronically using email and WhatsApp platforms.
5. Written Submissions: Where parties agree Judgment/Ruling will be delivered on the basis of written submissions.
6. Hearing of applications: will be considered by the Court on the basis of written submissions limited to 3 pages without the necessity of oral highlighting.
7. Case Management: In appeals where case management have not been conducted parties are encouraged to exchange written submissions limited to 12 pages and to transmit them electronically to the registry.
8. Hearing of appeals: Shall be through video link.
9. Dress Code: No robes but Judges and advocates to dress formally.
10. Decisions: Delivered electronically by email or through video link upon notice to parties/counsel.
11. Internet: Advocates are expected to have stable internet.
12. These Practice Notes: Shall be complimentary to earlier practice directions issued by the Hon. The Chief Justice and are effective on this day of their issue.
Issued on this 21stday of April, 2020
PRESIDENT, COURT OF APPEAL