Please Wait. Searching ...
|Case Number:||Criminal Case 66 of 2014|
|Parties:||Republic v Charles Karanja Wanjiru|
|Date Delivered:||23 Dec 2014|
|Court:||High Court at Nairobi (Milimani Law Courts)|
|Judge(s):||Jessie Wanjiku Lesiit|
|Citation:||Republic v Charles Karanja Wanjiru  eKLR|
|Case Outcome:||Application allowed|
|Disclaimer:||The information contained in the above segment is not part of the judicial opinion delivered by the Court. The metadata has been prepared by Kenya Law as a guide in understanding the subject of the judicial opinion. Kenya Law makes no warranties as to the comprehensiveness or accuracy of the information|
REPUBLIC OF KENYA
IN THE HIGH COURT OF KENYA AT NAIROBI
CRIMINAL CASE NO. 66 OF 2014
CHARLES KARANJA WANJIRU……………..…….…….ACCUSED
1. The accused person,CHARLES KARANJA WANJIRUfiled a Notice of Motion application dated 14thNovember 2014.
2. The accused seeks bail pending the hearing and determination of his case. In the alternative heasks the court to make any other order it deems fit in the circumstances.
3. The application is premised on the following grounds namely:
4. The accused person has sworn a supporting affidavit in support of his application which I have considered.
5. The State has filed a replying affidavit which is sworn by the Investigating Officer Ag. Inspector Eganza Deny dated 15thDecember 2014. In that affidavit the officer deposes that the risk of intimidation of the prosecution witnesses by the accused in this case is real since the accused person is a neighbour to the prosecution witnesses. The accused if released may get into contact with them.
6. The investigating Officer also deposes that one of the witnesses fears that if accused is released on bail, the accused may intimidate him due to a land dispute between them which is ongoing in the land court. The Investigating Officer deposed that the accused is a flight risk since he is being tried for serious offence.
7. I have considered the submissions by Mr. Ongeri for the accused and Mr. Konga for the State.
8. I have considered the application and the circumstances of this case. I find that the prosecution has not demonstrated that accused is a flight risk or that he may interfere with witnesses.
9. I will grant the bail application in the following terms:
DATED AT NAIROBI THIS 23RDDAY OF DECEMBER, 2014.